Wednesday, October 27, 2004
Driven To Distraction
Hey everyone. Pretty normal day all around. Well...other than the fact that I didn't do any billable work all afternoon. But other than that it's going to be an average sized post.
So...this afternoon I went and saw my first Psychiatrist. It was pretty weird. I found out that I had probably thought about my diagnosis a little too much. I say that because the Dr agreed with me and I didn't get even the slightest arguement out of him. It was nice. He asked me a lot of questions about my problem with focus and all kinds of other stuff and he really just drove it home for me. I really do have Adult ADHD. It's really not a joke anymore. But in the words of my mother: "I knew it all along" (she says that about everything). But now I find myself on the other side of the fence. Now I'm the patient. Now I'm the weirdo in the waiting room. It's a very strange feeling. He agrees with me that it's not some off-the-wall-full-blown case it's just a really mild case. So he gave me a pretty low dosage of Ritalin and just told me to take it when I felt like it and see what happens. He was a really great doctor. Good desk-side manner. I'll have to thank Mike's dad for recommending him. So...I'm sure you're all dying to know what it feels like to suddenly have the uncanny ability to actually be capable of focusing when I was once incapable of it. Well...to tell ya the truth...I don't know. I really can't tell if the medication is working. I 've really only been on it for about 5 hours and other than actually completing all my charting for today with little to no distraction(!) I really can't tell the difference. I have another chapter to read for class tomorrow so I'll let you know if I get through it without my mind drifting off into space without my consent. It likes to do that.
Well...frankly...that's really enough self-disclosure for one post. Thanks for listening :)
Watch out! Bullets!
Music in my car as we speak: Blümchen - Herzfrequenz
Game I last played: The Temple of Elemental Evil
Tommy "you should really check that rockfish link...it's not what you think and it's totally badass" Schubert
So...this afternoon I went and saw my first Psychiatrist. It was pretty weird. I found out that I had probably thought about my diagnosis a little too much. I say that because the Dr agreed with me and I didn't get even the slightest arguement out of him. It was nice. He asked me a lot of questions about my problem with focus and all kinds of other stuff and he really just drove it home for me. I really do have Adult ADHD. It's really not a joke anymore. But in the words of my mother: "I knew it all along" (she says that about everything). But now I find myself on the other side of the fence. Now I'm the patient. Now I'm the weirdo in the waiting room. It's a very strange feeling. He agrees with me that it's not some off-the-wall-full-blown case it's just a really mild case. So he gave me a pretty low dosage of Ritalin and just told me to take it when I felt like it and see what happens. He was a really great doctor. Good desk-side manner. I'll have to thank Mike's dad for recommending him. So...I'm sure you're all dying to know what it feels like to suddenly have the uncanny ability to actually be capable of focusing when I was once incapable of it. Well...to tell ya the truth...I don't know. I really can't tell if the medication is working. I 've really only been on it for about 5 hours and other than actually completing all my charting for today with little to no distraction(!) I really can't tell the difference. I have another chapter to read for class tomorrow so I'll let you know if I get through it without my mind drifting off into space without my consent. It likes to do that.
Well...frankly...that's really enough self-disclosure for one post. Thanks for listening :)
Watch out! Bullets!
- Nintendo of Japan has released the box art for some of their launch titles for the DS. Check them out! They are kinda weird.
- Ugh...I really hate to be reporting on this today. And I'm afraid that the DS is really going to suffer because of this. I'm just going to keep my finders crossed that the PSP loses in the long run. But frankly...I think that Nintendo just got kicked out of the handheld market, and thus the videogame market entirely. I just can't understand sony. I hate them. Details on the pricing, number of launch titles, Japanese release date and...yes...battery life. Update: The attention this news is getting killed the origional poster of the news: TechJapan. Check here for Gizmodo's review of the news.
- There's an interview with the lead designer of D&D online over at MMORPG.com. Absorb.
- Ok...just so you guys don't forget and you can log on now and get the client. Guild Wars is doing their preview weekend this weekend. It's free for everyone. They are trying to stress test the servers. You should really check this out. This game should be very good. Remember it's the MMORPG without a monthly fee.
- Bard's Tale shipped today for PS2 and Xbox. Just so you guys know.
Music in my car as we speak: Blümchen - Herzfrequenz
Game I last played: The Temple of Elemental Evil
Tommy "you should really check that rockfish link...it's not what you think and it's totally badass" Schubert
Comments:
Awesome, I'm glad you found some one who seems to be such an awesome doctor. Rice has a counseling center that's free for student & staff use (yay!), and I know it's been helpful to me in dealing with my performance anxiety (no, stage fright, not bed fright... (: ). Some times the hardest part about getting help is just realizing that you need it and taking the first step to getting it. Hopefully this'll be the beginning of something better for you, dude.
-Frank
Post a Comment
-Frank

