Tuesday, January 11, 2005
Change For A Ten
Well...This is the first time in a LONG time I have managed to post twice in a row. I remember now why I started posting the news. I'm boring. Yup! It's all becoming clear to me now. I don't do anything in my life that is of any interest to the people I know. Ok...that's a bit of a stretch I realize but think about it again. Just for a second. Know anyone else that's as obsessed about games as I am? Ok...Mike Moen is pretty bad...but unless he wants to challenge me I think the simple fact that I play WoW every night at least puts me on par with him having every game system available and then some. I also know that Winter plays a good helping of games herself...but I don't see her very much and she works a lot so...yeah. But do either of them spen all their spare time during the day either on the forums or playing their Gameboy? I doubt it...Anyway...let me start again. of all the people I have regular contact with I feel as if I'm the dorkiest by far. I guess there are varying ranges of dorkiness but I guess I have to say that all the big dork gamers seem to have left. I'm not sad about it or anything...but I do think it sucks. I would kill to have someone come play WoW with me, or own a DS in the area. I don't know...I don't like playing Risk...I would rather play table-top D&D...I don't like going out to bars...I would rather hang out in an Inn online...eh...it's just something that I guess I missed out on. Interesting to reflect on by the way. I know there are thousands of people out there that their entire friend group plays games on a daily basis. Something happened along the way and it didn't happen to me. I wonder where the crossroads were...I missed the sign. Then again...when I was in college I met several people that wanted to play tabletop stuff as desperately as I did...they were very weird...we're just going to leave it at that. Weird. But I don't know...since I've been getting all this stress from work I haven't turned to my friends to cool off...I've turned to gaming. In the past my friends were already there when I got there...but not anymore. Just strange...not sad...just uncomfortable. Them - "I had a fucking horrible day at work today...let's go to a bar" Me - "I had a fucking horrible day at work today...I'll be playing games for the next hour or two if you want to join me you're more than welcome to!" I don't know...just different. Is one better than the other? I have no idea...I get the impression I'm not the best judge of "adulthood" so judge for yourself. Just interesting...consider it an observation. What do you do when you're completely stressed out? I mean: threated to be fired, dog died, car broke down, mother's smokin' crack, found out you 12 year old daughter is pregnant or incured late fines on your student loan repayment? Ya know...the rough stuff...the REAL stuff? What do you do? Drugs(including alcohol)? Games? Books? Sex? Violence? Working out? Singing? Screaming? Movies? What?!!? I'm dying to know! Heh...this should be interesting...
By the way I'm getting a really great response from my WoW Guild. You are all still welcome to join. I have a pretty decent sized group over here just waiting for more people to make friends with. Come join us!
Game I last played: World of Warcraft (WoW)
Tommy "just noticed I've been putting 'Thomas' the last two posts" Schubert
By the way I'm getting a really great response from my WoW Guild. You are all still welcome to join. I have a pretty decent sized group over here just waiting for more people to make friends with. Come join us!
Game I last played: World of Warcraft (WoW)
Tommy "just noticed I've been putting 'Thomas' the last two posts" Schubert
Comments:
Feeling a bit left out here, Tommy. I know we moved halfway across the world (country, whatever) but comeon... half of your regular audience is as addicted to games as you are... I'm not going to go ranting about how many games I play and how dorky I can be because I don't need to be reminded of it. But you're not alone there. Last weekend all we did was play games. We play 4-player games by ourselves because nobody will come over and play them with us. They're out partying and we're playing starbase jeff with 2 decks either. I'm not trying to seem punker than thou (for lack of a better phrase) but don't forget we are out here and we know what you're talking about. I know your company screwed you out of vacation but we need someone to visit in a bad way!! just to throw that out there :)
back to work,
Erin
back to work,
Erin
Yeah, I'm pretty dorky, we all already know, but I don't have anything else to point my mild OCD at, so I collect gaming stuff. As far as coping with stress, the only real stress I feel is the occasional lonliness (no, don't cry for me) and I cope with it by calling friends and family. Call me and we'll play a non-WoW game (I can't afford it, as I'll be coming back to DFW in Feb for a wedding). If I'm ever stressed at work, I have the wonderfull option of bailing to go work-out whenever I want... and they can't fire me. Hope you feel better, and I'll take you out for a beer in Feb... oh wait, I missed the point.
-MM
-MM
Quick reply.
I'm still working on getting up there to see you and erin, mike. I know I got all my vacation time cut and they are still threatening to fire me every single day, but I'll make it up there before too long. Promise. Special game time? Sure...just let me wait till this job crap blows over. If it's still like this in the beginning of Feb...I'm quiting...'nuff said.
Mike, thanks for that last bit on your post...that really put a smile on my face. I thought it was really funny. Thanks! And yes...we will hook it up sometime soon as well. See above for approximate timeframe.
Tommy
I'm still working on getting up there to see you and erin, mike. I know I got all my vacation time cut and they are still threatening to fire me every single day, but I'll make it up there before too long. Promise. Special game time? Sure...just let me wait till this job crap blows over. If it's still like this in the beginning of Feb...I'm quiting...'nuff said.
Mike, thanks for that last bit on your post...that really put a smile on my face. I thought it was really funny. Thanks! And yes...we will hook it up sometime soon as well. See above for approximate timeframe.
Tommy
Unfortunately, I'm more of a puzzle gamer than a war/gun/fighting gamer. Gimme Tetris (or this thing online called Puzzle Pirates! or that damn Pokemon puzzle fighter game we have on N64) and I will be mega-content. Right now, we don't have internet at the apartment which limits my gaming ability, but I'm always up for board games or card games...
As for dealing with stress- I think that's the main reason I increased my running over the past six months. It gives me time to be outside, alone with my music and my thoughts.
Hadn't responded to your posts in awhile and just wanted to let you know I'm out here reading too :)
-Erica
PS- Did you ever get pics of your GameBoy cabinet loaded?
As for dealing with stress- I think that's the main reason I increased my running over the past six months. It gives me time to be outside, alone with my music and my thoughts.
Hadn't responded to your posts in awhile and just wanted to let you know I'm out here reading too :)
-Erica
PS- Did you ever get pics of your GameBoy cabinet loaded?
I am a puzzle gamer, too. Geoff would probably love to play WoW with you, but I'm wary of becoming a gaming widow again.. it's happened before.
How's this for dorkiness- I had a party saturday night, and we sat around playing board games (and pictionary!)all night.
Another friend of mine has munchkin parties. You have played munchkin, haven't you? The people I know are addicted to City of Heroes more than anything.
Once again, disjointed. Sorry.
Oh, and what do I do when I'm really stressed? Well, sometimes, not anything, so I end up a big festering pile of bad feelings. And other times I let it out in art. -Karin
Post a Comment
How's this for dorkiness- I had a party saturday night, and we sat around playing board games (and pictionary!)all night.
Another friend of mine has munchkin parties. You have played munchkin, haven't you? The people I know are addicted to City of Heroes more than anything.
Once again, disjointed. Sorry.
Oh, and what do I do when I'm really stressed? Well, sometimes, not anything, so I end up a big festering pile of bad feelings. And other times I let it out in art. -Karin

