<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Forgot what it feels like. 

So there was a while there when dealing with people at Dallas Metrocare Services that I was talking people out of suicide on almost a daily basis. Sure it's arguable if they were actually going to commit suicide I might not have been able to talk them out of it, but that's beside the point.

Yesterday I just so happened to have grabbed a kid out of class to talk to that really needed it. The student felt comfortable enough with me to tell me about their plan to kill themself later on that evening. After talking to them for about an hour I moved up the proper channels for this kind of thing, and eventually had their mom in the office hearing things and being made to believe things that she had never heard or taken seriously before. I really made a difference in that family's life. The school I work for was pretty glad that I was around for that catch and that not only did I handle it exactly as I should but that I had the skill to build such a quick rapport with the student. I was pretty proud last night. No one really to tell these days (especially at almost 10pm) but I called Heather and told her. I was mostly just really proud of myself, really hungry and REALLY worn out.

So yeah...I guess I forgot what it feels like to save someone's life. It feels good.

Tommy "I don't like tooting...especially horns." Schubert

Comments:
You can always call me. I'm always up till 11, except on the very rare nights I crash at 9. (if that's the case, you can talk to Geoff :) )

It sounds like you're really making a difference. That's so great!
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?