<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Good Weekend 

So yeah...I've been having a good weekend. I've blown almost 2K for the weekend in various endeavors (one of which is paying for school for this first summer semester...so I don't think that counts) but all in all it's actually been a pretty good weekend comparatively. Let's see...where to start? Friday was the last day of school. Totally fucked up my grading and that will be interesting in the next couple days when I get a call from work telling me to come and fix it :P After work I set up my Mohawk appointment for Saturday afternoon, headed to get a BUNCH of cash and then headed out to A-Kon. One of my mom's graduated students was waiting for me at the con with my ticket. She waited in line for 3 hours for her ticket and got me one at the same time. I waited 15 minutes for her to find me once I got there. Priceless. That night I think I bumped into...let me count...about a dozen current and former students. Shit you not. Walked around a bunch with the college students that used to go to Garland. That was a little weird at first but got much better. Hmmm...around 11 or so I headed out to Rebekah and Mike's house and we hung out there and looked through yearbooks (joy) and played twister. Everyone else out-girthed me so I totally lost something fierce.

Oh yeah...that's right. As I was walking through the con I got a text message. It was Melissa. The girl I went to Trinity with FINALLY getting back to me about going out (this is the movie chick that doesn't return phone calls, not the extra-religious one, or the Gun-toting one). She wanted to meet with me the next day for some coffee. I was totally cool with that and was determined to meet whenever she wanted to meet with me. I mentioned that I had a blood-donation appointment at 2:45pm the next day...so...her next message includes the time she wants to meet....1:30pm. Yeah...so she's literally leaving an hour and 15 minutes to have coffee with me. She was trying REALLY hard to make sure I understood that this would be coffee and coffee only. Little did she know, I blow off blood-donation appointments all the time. :) So I called my hair dresser and reschedule my appointment for later in the afternoon and asked her which location she would rather meet me at. I never got a reply. I could tell this was going to be more difficult than it should be...

The next afternoon after waking up about an hour before the "date" I called her to ask where she wanted to meet. "Oh shit! I never replied to you last night! I'm so sorry!" and all was forgiven. Starbucks it was. Showered and dressed and on my way I was! She was late so I walked around the B&N for a while. Found the newest issue of Y: The Last Man (need to get that!) and found Hard Boiled. It's a graphic novel that I remember Aaron Cother having in his closet at his house...and wanting it. I had no idea it was written by Frank Miller. That almost makes it legitimate :) I checked the Starbucks again and she's still not there, but I order something and have a strategically placed seat. Then I noticed someone I knew I recognized. I never forget faces and I was only seeing her eyes and I KNEW I knew her. She went to St. Mark's with me. Joanne something. Her and her man pulled up a seat right next to mine and we started talking. Then Melissa walks in and blah blah. All in all I had to ignore my REALLY old friend to give Melissa her due respect and attention. All in all it was a really good date. It ran until about 3:45pm and she didn't seem to notice so that's definitely a good sign. She thought another date would be cool and we have a lot in common. Movies primarily but that's a good start. And how can you NOT enjoy the company of someone who loves The Kids In The Hall as much as you do? I mean...even awesome movie quotes from Brain Candy didn't fall on deaf ears. Keeper??!! We'll see...I just don't rush shit anymore.

So then I was off to get my Mohawk for the summer. Went well...I really like my hairdresser. Next time I go back I think I might shave the sides off almost completely and really do a defined line for the hawk. We'll see on that too...

And then STRAIGHT back to the con! Not really...but that makes a better story than "spent an hour and a half getting my cousin's wife's brand new laptop to work over the wireless connection at the house". See? Anyway...went back to the con after the vendors area was closed (suck!) so around 7. Getting there I wanted to play a game with RPGA and came in time and everything but after waiting an hour and a half, I went in to find out that this was the "interactive" session. Yeah. It's exactly what you think. Bunch of dressed up super-freaks pretending they are dwarves and thieves and shit talking to special "judges" who were the NPCs for the hour. Yeah...it was basically as close to LARPing I have ever come. I got out quick and tried to pick up with some more people but they had left for the dinner time. So I headed to one of the viewing rooms...and that's where yet another adventure started.

So sat down in front of a particularly hot chick who was wrapped up in a blanket. One "wow...you a little cold??!" and 3 hours later I had her number. She's going to be known as either the "cosplay chick" or "the Amazon" (real name = Kim). She has her dad drive her all the way from Tyler for all the cons. Oh...and she's over 6 feet tall making her about an inch or two taller than me. But tall checks are like jungle-gyms so I don't mind :) Oh...she had her dad drive her because she's not a big fan of interstate highways. Go figure...god knows I've dealt with WAY worse. But that's a true long shot. Melissa seems to really be peaking my interest...we'll see what happens after I get back from my camping trip. Oh...Melissa has a twin who incidentally doesn't look much like her even though they are supposed to be identical.

After I walked Kim to her room and, like the gentleman that I am, had NO intention of following her in even if she asked, I headed to the Hentai room. Oh yeah...the night had only just begun. :) First off...as I mentioned during yesterday's post, I was really worried that this was going to be INSANELY embarrassing. Actually...shit you not...quite the opposite! It was the most fun I had all weekend.
Misconceptions I had: Going to be in a dank, musty room with about 45 people. Going to be mostly guys and some girls who like to have sex in public. There will be wangs out, and in hand during most of the viewing. I will want to leave.
The Truth: It was in the biggest viewing room. There were around 800 people or more. (I don't count people well. Basically the size of a giant sized movie theatre). Completely mixed company. Even almost across the board. I didn't see or smell a single wang out. I didn't want to leave. It was seriously awesome and I have no intention of missing it ever again. :)

So...after that I walked around a bit and went to the rave. I just missed REALLY loud techno. It feels good sometimes.

Woke up this morning thinking I was going to head out to the convention again, but my screaming headache decided for me. I was done for the weekend. Slept till about 5. I just didn't feel good. After waking up and showering, my dad and I (my mom is still being a bum) went downtown for an invitation only screening of Death at a Funeral. It was pretty awesome. Movie was hilarious...and guess what? I met Frank "Mother Fucking" Oz. Spoke to him for a little bit right after talking to Alan Tudyk. It was awesome. I met Yoda, Miss Piggy, Animal, AND arguably my favorite character from Firefly, Wash, in the same night. Wow. Just wow. BTW I started this post as soon as I got home I was so excited.

On that note...it's time to wash the sculpting wax outta my hawk and hit the sack for school tomorrow. Yea...my summer school I'm taking starts the Monday after my work school lets out. Joy. And one of my classes isn't set in stone yet so I have no idea who late I'll be at school tomorrow... :P

Enjoy the giant post people! Talk to you all later!

Tommy "what a weekend" Schubert

Comments:
Glad to hear you had such an exciting weekend, and I can't wait to hear about it in extreme detail as we drive 10 hours to Big Bend.

You may be the only one with an interesting story to tell.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?