Monday, July 02, 2007
Some of the Favorite Things I Hear
Ok...today (yes, another paper is due tomorrow and I'm taking a short break) I thought I would showcase some of my favorite quotes and what they mean to me and (if you're lucky) where they came from. I have a friend that collects quotes and it's a collection I could never hope to match either in scale or depth. It's truly epic. Mine sucks in comparison basically...but I have a couple favorites. Here they are!
"Good people are good because they come to wisdom through failure."
-William Saroyan
This is one of my favorite because I feel like this one really goes straight to the heart of how I feel about a lot of things. Translated (for me) it's "I'm a good person because I suck at stuff and learn through that failure." I mean...I make a lot of mistakes in my life. Sure I learn from other's mistakes really well, but I sure make a truck load on my own. It's just good for me to have that realization that when I do make a mistake I can make myself a better person simply by taking responsibility for that mistake, learning from it, and not making that mistake again. Yeah. Next!
"Happiness is a way to travel, not a destination"
-Ray M. Goodman
Oh man...this one is seriously one that I live by (but I guess they all are, so strike that). I think a few too many people think that happiness is something that they don't have to work at. It's not simply something that you can attain and be done with it. You really have to wake up every day and do what you can to make yourself happy and spread happiness to those around you. Ok...that sounds sappy. But when you actually take the time to make one person smile (at least) a day...and I mean REALLY smile...you'll start to feel a lot better about your shitty life or ya-know...your marginally awesome life. ;)
"Life isn't the amount of breaths you take it's the moments that take your breath away."
-Hitch
Guilty pleasure. We all know I like movies. Sometimes I grab a quote. What can I say? That doesn't make them any less or any more valuable to me. Anyway. I just happen to concur with this quote. I really do what I can to enjoy life and let the simple things really touch me. Since this quote comes from a movie that's actually a Will Smith romantic comedy.....I think I make my point.
"Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out."
-James Bryant Conant
Incidentally he is a scientist whose work lead to the SAT and he worked on the Manhattan project. Besides that I think I'm in love with this one. It's inspirational but at the same time it's got great, encouraging imagery. It kind of has a way of saying "Turtles are awesome. Be awesome like the turtle." I fucking love it.
"New York is where everyone comes to be forgiven."
-Shortbus
This is actually from a movie I haven't actually seen yet and to the best of my knowledge there's no way I could possibly get my hands on it. This is the most recent movie from the the director of Hedwig and the Angry Inch . Can't wait to see it. This quote just hit me. I didn't quite know why. A lot of people I know seem to hold New York up on a pedestal and I simply don't get it. I've been there a couple times...hell I've been to a LOT of major cities all over the U.S. and Western Europe but in all honestly...I don't get it. I mean...it's a cool town but...I guess I just don't need to be forgiven for anything. That makes me feel good. So yeah...this quote makes me feel good...so does the knowledge that I don't want...or rather need(?) to move to New York.
"The easiest way to lose something is to want it too badly"
-Scrubs
I'm guilty of this one. So this quote reminds me of things that I do that hurt the other things (or people) around me. Like wanting them too badly. When you finally find a way to actually recognize what you want (this is harder than it sounds for a lot of people) you just kinda latch onto it when you find it. I want things. Sometimes too much. Then they go away. It happens. but with this quote stuck to my computer screen maybe it won't happen so much. We'll see how that goes.
Ok...that's the list of my top 6. usually people have a top 5 but I have a top 6. Blow me. Hope you enjoyed my little distraction. Now it's time for me to get back to work. I hate work. Actually I think there are few things in the world that I hate more than writing papers. I feel like I've said this before. I think I've said a lot of things before. Let's hope I keep saying things for a good long time. I like me.
Tommy "I just think everyone should like themselves...what?" Schubert
"Good people are good because they come to wisdom through failure."
-William Saroyan
This is one of my favorite because I feel like this one really goes straight to the heart of how I feel about a lot of things. Translated (for me) it's "I'm a good person because I suck at stuff and learn through that failure." I mean...I make a lot of mistakes in my life. Sure I learn from other's mistakes really well, but I sure make a truck load on my own. It's just good for me to have that realization that when I do make a mistake I can make myself a better person simply by taking responsibility for that mistake, learning from it, and not making that mistake again. Yeah. Next!
"Happiness is a way to travel, not a destination"
-Ray M. Goodman
Oh man...this one is seriously one that I live by (but I guess they all are, so strike that). I think a few too many people think that happiness is something that they don't have to work at. It's not simply something that you can attain and be done with it. You really have to wake up every day and do what you can to make yourself happy and spread happiness to those around you. Ok...that sounds sappy. But when you actually take the time to make one person smile (at least) a day...and I mean REALLY smile...you'll start to feel a lot better about your shitty life or ya-know...your marginally awesome life. ;)
"Life isn't the amount of breaths you take it's the moments that take your breath away."
-Hitch
Guilty pleasure. We all know I like movies. Sometimes I grab a quote. What can I say? That doesn't make them any less or any more valuable to me. Anyway. I just happen to concur with this quote. I really do what I can to enjoy life and let the simple things really touch me. Since this quote comes from a movie that's actually a Will Smith romantic comedy.....I think I make my point.
"Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out."
-James Bryant Conant
Incidentally he is a scientist whose work lead to the SAT and he worked on the Manhattan project. Besides that I think I'm in love with this one. It's inspirational but at the same time it's got great, encouraging imagery. It kind of has a way of saying "Turtles are awesome. Be awesome like the turtle." I fucking love it.
"New York is where everyone comes to be forgiven."
-Shortbus
This is actually from a movie I haven't actually seen yet and to the best of my knowledge there's no way I could possibly get my hands on it. This is the most recent movie from the the director of Hedwig and the Angry Inch . Can't wait to see it. This quote just hit me. I didn't quite know why. A lot of people I know seem to hold New York up on a pedestal and I simply don't get it. I've been there a couple times...hell I've been to a LOT of major cities all over the U.S. and Western Europe but in all honestly...I don't get it. I mean...it's a cool town but...I guess I just don't need to be forgiven for anything. That makes me feel good. So yeah...this quote makes me feel good...so does the knowledge that I don't want...or rather need(?) to move to New York.
"The easiest way to lose something is to want it too badly"
-Scrubs
I'm guilty of this one. So this quote reminds me of things that I do that hurt the other things (or people) around me. Like wanting them too badly. When you finally find a way to actually recognize what you want (this is harder than it sounds for a lot of people) you just kinda latch onto it when you find it. I want things. Sometimes too much. Then they go away. It happens. but with this quote stuck to my computer screen maybe it won't happen so much. We'll see how that goes.
Ok...that's the list of my top 6. usually people have a top 5 but I have a top 6. Blow me. Hope you enjoyed my little distraction. Now it's time for me to get back to work. I hate work. Actually I think there are few things in the world that I hate more than writing papers. I feel like I've said this before. I think I've said a lot of things before. Let's hope I keep saying things for a good long time. I like me.
Tommy "I just think everyone should like themselves...what?" Schubert
Comments:
Post a Comment