Tuesday, November 06, 2007
Talentless Hack
We left fairly early on Halloween morning which happens to also be Jessica's birthday. The ride in was uneventful, which was nice, and we checked into our hotel quickly and started getting into costume. I was pretty tired, but my costume was pretty awesome. I was The Doctor from Doctor Who and Jessica was Madame de Pompadour. It was just about the most obscure costume I had ever done. We were a single episode from a relatively new series from Britain produced entirely for dorks. No one was ever going to guess who we were. But eventually someone did. We'll get to that later.
New Orleans on Halloween was a little different from Mardi Gras. There really weren't that many people on bourbon street, so I was really glad that I asked the concierge where the REAL party was before we left. The real party? It was about 6-8 blocks down river from the party on bourbon so we started walking from the hotel right off and skipped bourbon street for now to save time. It took about 45 minutes. By the time we got there we were already kind of tired...but it was still early and the party had only just begun.
We got dinner at this great residential Italian restaurant that would serve as not only the first meal I had in New Orleans but the best. From there we would wander back and forth from a party that was so awesome and packed that the non-teatotalers couldn't get a beverage to save their lives and the more commercial and significantly more tame party on bourbon where alcohol could be purchased in abundance. It was on one of these trips back to bourbon street when I almost shat my pants with glee.
There is a little back story you really need to know. I love Doctor Who. I'm not a freak about it but I really connect with the characters and I think the stories are brilliant. I think it probably helps that I look a lot like the current doctor :). So anyway, in preparation to become the Doctor I went on a wild goose chase the weekend before Halloween looking for a suit that would look right. Long story short, I now own a new $380 suit that looks just like The Doctor's. So I went into this fairly invested in my costume...eventhough I didn't think anyone would guess it.
I was standing outside some random bar on bourbon street waiting for Jessica and Goeff to get their drinks and come back out. Of course I wasn't just standing there, I was holding my best Doctor Who pose with pride. They finally came out. Facing away from the street looking like the spitting image of the Doctor Jessica walks up to me and from a guy that just happened to be standing directly infront of us we hear "hey! 'Lady in the Fireplace'!!" I was actually beside myself. He hadn't just guessed that I was the Doctor, he had named the SINGLE EPISODE we were recreating. It was the best moment of the entire week, possibly the whole month! I offered to buy him a drink through my thanks and my stammering but he wanted nothing else but to show us off to his wife, take a picture and tell us to have a good time. We did.
The next day we woke up "early" and headed out to see a tour of the cemetarys, drive around the 9th ward and check out the devastation and get some Cajun food. We also ate in a really expensive place that I had coincidentally been in before with Mike's family years and years ago. Basically the place itself was awesome but the food was a little more than lacking. And they evedently are idiots. Check this sign from the MEN'S restroom...oi...(below)
So that evening we went out again. Woke up "early" again and headed home. We stopped at a plantation to tour it then really busted ass for home. It wouldn't be until almost 2 that we would get home. But the plantation was worth it.
Anyway I've be typing this through the course of about two classes and I'm a little tired of this tiny screen right now, as I'm sure you understand, so this is me signing off. Expect to hear from me individually with my pictures here soon. Later!
Tommy "my thumbs hurt" Schubert
