Monday, January 14, 2008
Don't Fear The Reaper...or Do...Whatever

Have you ever noticed that you ever so rarely get to reap what you sow in other people? I mean I know that's the way of things and there's no hope to change it, but I have at least done my best to assign credit where credit is due. I encourage more people to do that.
For instance: I wouldn't be punk rock if it weren't for two people. Brad and Erin. Brad introduced me to both rancid and bad religion. I was hooked. Erin just made it ten times worse by fostering those music tastes and showing me new bands into infinity.
Another example, this time kind of abstract: have you ever just suggested to someone to do something or told them they were pretty or told them something special about themselves? Were you around to see and experience your suggestion transform their life? Were you there to see them become a better person? See them finally proud of who they are? Make out with them after they went from mousey to beautiful? Most likely not. Very very slim chance of that one. And I guess that's part of what I'm talking about. I teach and I do what I can to turn my students into better people. But in four years I'll never see them again.
I don't know. It's hard to express what I'm thinking on this one without either sounding like a creep or just not making sense. So I'm going to stop now. Later!
Tommy "definately NOT reaping what I've sown" Schubert