Monday, May 19, 2008
Estrogen in the meat

Ok so it's been a while, but that's how it goes around this time of year. I'm getting ramped up for the last summer session before I graduate. Assuming I can get in the class I need, I'll finally be getting my masters in counseling. Finally. It's been 4 years of my life and in a lot of ways it contributed to destroying the best relationship I've yet had. But it'll soon be over. I'll take my certification exam and have my LPCi and be able to get private practice jobs almost anywhere in the country. I guess the question remains: do I want to be a counselor? Everyone questions their profession at some point or another and now's the time. I won't stop the masters. I'm getting it. But over the course of the next year I'll be deciding if I want to quit teaching and counsel full time, or keep teaching and counsel part time, or just keep teaching and not counsel at all. Lots of choices this year. Not least of which: am I staying in Dallas for the foreseeable future? But that's all for another post.
Now on to more trivial matters. Ted and I have been playing a lot of Warhawk. Shit! That game is deceptively awesome! It takes a pretty long time to get used to the maps and the play mechanics but after you do, you realize that it's really hard to get bored with it. You start on foot which is just as fun as everything else, get bored with that and you can jump in a jeep with a buddy, bored with that, jump in a tank, bored with that, jump in a VTOL jet, just need a break from all the action? Jump in an anti-air turret. The rock-paper-scissors idea is in full effect. I guess my best compliment of the game is that it's relatively easy to get into and once you get used to it, the depth and variety really start to shine. With the addition of voice (which we obviously don't use but could) you could easily play with friends anywhere and really feel the fun. There's lots of co-op opportunity here. (Goeff! Friend me up so we can play with you!!)
And when Ted leaves I've been playing GTA4 like it's going out of style. The game really deserves all the praise it gets. The writing and story and characters are simply brilliant. The driving takes a little getting used to because of its realism but is ultimately rewarding. The shooting is fair and fun (after you get used to the cover system). And though it's often glossed over in reviews, the taxi system is probably my favorite addition. Need a bulletproof vest before you start that mission? Literally 20 seconds out of your way round trip from any location via taxi. It's awesome. Cops are less annoying but still a problem at times and the game is in DESPERATE need of mid-mission checkpoints. For example: I was finally about to complete an absolutely punishing three part mission that took me at least 4 trys to get this far. All I had to do was take the package back to some guy, I had evaded a 3 star police force, infiltrated a giant drug house bristling with guys, escaped it bristling with cops, and now I was home free. Then I nudged a pedestrian literally right as a foot cop was walking past my door. He ran up, opened the door and arrested me. Mission failed. Start over? I was pissed. Wow. That was long. So checkpoints...yeah. Go buy it!!
Anyway I have to go to court later this morning for a speeding ticket. Sigh. Not excited about that. Hope I can still differ to judication...and I, also, am secretly hoping I don't get arrested because I'm two days overdue.
My class is writing scripts today so I'm a little bored.
In other news! Mike made captain and is on his way to Dayton after he gets back from his hot-sex vacation. Erin just graduated from UNT and now has an undergrad degree. Angela (Toni's sister) just had an art opening in Dallas. Dave is done with his most recent piece and is packing it up for his Santa Fe gallery as we speak.
Anyway, my computer is back up and running after a video card failure so I'll try and add my picture for this post when I get home...assuming I won't be in jail.
Tommy "no intention of explaining the title of this post" Schubert