Monday, May 26, 2008
A Simple Rant

So I'm jumping on just for a second to throw this out there: I'm fucking pissed off this weekend. I mean, this happens every weekend but this weekend has definitely been the worst. Hmmm...that doesn't quite make much sense on it's own so let me try that one again.
People have completely lost all forms of phone etiquette. Since the advent of the cell phone it has just slipped further down the rabbit hole. Sure, we have had people talking on the phone while on the shitter, talking on the phone in line at McDonald's, talking on the phone while in a real life conversation. Sure, we have had all that. But none of that bothers me as much as the call screening and the utter disregard for calling people back. I doubt there are that many of you that do it who are reading this right now, but if there are, just go ahead and stop that shit in it's tracks. People aren't idiots. If it rings twice and goes straight to voicemail then we KNOW you looked down, saw our name, said "eh", and PRESSED THE END BUTTON. Now I'm not talking about random strangers, Carter Bloodcare, or fucking Blockbuster here. I'm talking about friends. People you have known for over a decade. People that SHOULD be calling you. People that deserver the respect of picking up the fucking phone, saying "hey man, sorry, can't talk right now actually hanging out with my parent's for the weekend." Trust me we understand. What we don't understand is the complete disregard of our respect. Ok...sure. You can't come to the phone because you're in the shower, or giving someone a blowjob, or shitting out a fucking baby. We get it. But ya know what? We left a polite message. Would you mind CALLING US THE FUCK BACK!!?!?
I guess that's what I don't understand. Do people think we're stupid? That's what it feels like. They think we're so stupid we don't know when they are screening us, they think we're so stupid that we don't know they have a missed call notification with our name and number. Or? We're losing friends faster than we think. What an odd concept. I don't know. Sure you're supposed to lose friends as you get older and you both move on, but I guess I didn't expect it to be this drastic, or that it would start with unreturned phone calls. I guess that's where all the anger is coming from. If a friend calls me HOURS before I'm supposed to wake up, like this morning, I still give them the respect to fucking answer the phone and call them back when I wake up. Maybe that's just it: I guess I have a lot less friends than I thought I did. So...for future reference: you don't want me to call you friend anymore? That's totally fine I understand that shit happens and ya just can't make an effort anymore, but seriously? Have the respect to tell me to my face, or at least over the phone.
Ok ok...maybe I went a little overboard there, but I'm pissed and rightfully so. Again: the people reading this need not apply this rant to them, but I'm sure several of you can relate.
Tommy "and I'm spent!" Schubert
Comments:
Shit man - who screened you? And remember when I called you and you were playing GTA4 with Ted and I said I needed some advice and you said you call when you were free ;) I could still use your advice. PS - looking forward to 2 weeks at home... hope you've got so good chilling time for me.
I completely agree with you, especially about returning calls when someone leaves you a message. When I'm busy/asleep/can't talk, I don't tend to answer the phone unless I know it's going to be quick. I hate when I call someone, start to talk to them, and then they're like "oh yeah by the way I'm in the middle of dinner" - makes me feel bad for interrupting, so I try not to do that on my end. But if I skip a call and they leave a message, I check it right away and call back if it needs my immediate attention (or later if it doesn't). That's just me...
Yeah Karin. I'm the same way. ALMOST without fail, if I get a call, even if they don't leave a message, I'll call them back the second I get the chance. Anyway...yeah...mental note...get hooked up with Goeff and warhawk.
Post a Comment
