<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, December 22, 2008

City People 


So last weekend Ted and I went to a party and I think we had very similar feelings about the whole thing. Let me start from the beginning.

So my friend just turned 30 and was having a party that I was invited to. I let Ted in on it 'cause I'm like that and then we went. It was interesting. Actually it was in uptown. Well...on Henderson. I'm not quite as hip as all that but I do assume that the area would probably be considered part of uptown. But really? Who cares...and that's kinda my point. We went down there thinking that we might need to dress up a little. So we did...wow...it was clear from the moment we stepped in there that we really didn't dress up enough. We're talking suits, ties, slacks, designer dresses. But where were we? We were across the street from a normal bar at a wine bar. Abnormal place? Not really. But definitely not a place you would normally find me in. Little too uppity. But I think that's also the point. All the people that we talked with were from down there or places like it. They weren't from the burbs like us. They were all city folk, and they ALL had completely different priorities in life. It was interesting. Their sense of humor wasn't like ours a lot of their pasts weren't like ours. They were very different. They liked being in the center of what they considered "the action". The center of their world wasn't just downtown it was this specific area of downtown. Which I thought was even more interesting considering that people from the burbs usually get a lot of flak for being enclosed in some kind of bubble. Really? A lot of those people seem to have been to a lot of places but only one or two really seemed to have actually learned anything from it. I found that kinda sad. The vast majority were married...and I mean VAST. Also, over half of them were lawyers presently or in the past...and literally all of them were making serious bank. I can almost guarantee Ted and I were the lowest earners in that place and the only one that might have been close left at 9. I was really out of my element. I mean...I stayed the entire time and talked to everyone and really did have a good time, but something was off. Not only was something off but I discovered something about myself that I didn't know: I'm not a city person. I thought I was this whole time but I just wasn't. But that begs a different question.

Am I more loathsome because I'm a suburbanite? What really makes me different? I mean..I DON'T want to be a pretentious git who doesn't think anyone or anything cool could possibly originate outside of their neighborhood. I don't want to double-check someone's income before I ask them out on a date. I don't want to EVER consider 20 minutes to work a god-offal commute. I don't know. Something to think about I guess. Anyway...it's REALLY late. I'm getting uppity, and I have a repair man coming in a couple hours. Sigh...I guess my Epiphany about Yes Man will just have to wait for another time.

Tommy "Man...is there a cure for night owl?" Schubert

Comments:
You do realize you are basing your conclusions about 'city people' on an incredibly small sample, right?

That said, I don't know if I could go back to living in a city. It's not anything about the people - they are as varied as anywhere else, it's just the fact that I have become accustomed to having space around me. Not only physical space- there's room for error in lots of ways.
 
Seriously? You don't think I realize that? Hahaha! :) I don't have a BA in psychology without knowing that the population of that sample just wasn't high enough to be very efficacious. But I of course come here to NOT be a counselor or even logical :) I don't know what it is but there was just something different and I could feel it from the entire bar we went to later. It was an interesting experience.
 
I do the same thing with wealthy people- the very few times I have hung out with people who have money have made me form some really bizarre ideas about the wealthy. I know my sample is messed up, but the ideas persist.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?