<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, March 08, 2009

Blue Wang 




I'm currently on a bus with about 50 kids. But that's just background at this point. I'm still dealing with my non-date conundrum with the 20 year old. I honestly don't know how I'm going to handle that one but I have no problem continuing until I run out of patience and blow my cover. Currently she comes around about four times a week without invitation. Playing dnd with us. Ya know. The works. I wish there was something about her that would make her unattractive. Just sayin' that would be easier.

But that's not the thought that is getting me posting. I was thinking about the validity of a theory. Yes, it's time for me to theorize again so feel free to stop reading now and go back to our professional blogs that have nothing to do with anyone you care about. I wonder if I'm bitter? I think I'll save that for another time. Anyway! I have been thinking about the correlation between buying a new car and personal change. I'm not really sayin that they cause personal change but I do have to say they are quite the harbringer. For example I have two people in my life currently that have recently purhased cars or are at least in the works of purchasing one. Both are on the verge of moving out of their parents' house. One is on the verge of a new career. One is on the verge of a near complete friend group shift. We call it a bwarg. So that got me thinking about my new car experinces.

First: simple fact. Kelley bought a car with the great help of my mother two weeks before breaking up with me, and simultaniously taking my advice for the first time in her life and starting a law degree at SMU/UT.

But on a more personal note: last time I bought a car I had already made the decision to start my first masters and really get moving on my career. Get moving on a new life change. Now I have the best job I have ever had with promises of even better ones to come. So yeah. I have been thinking about what that really means. Maybe it's the car that causes the change maybe they are just connected. I don't really know but I'm seeing them as a good omen for my two good friends. What about your experiences?

Tommy "knows now why shorts aren't allowed in school" Schubert

Comments:
Cars have always been a more utilitarian thing to me - a way to get from point A to point B. Even more so since I only drive 1-2 times a week.

I have been debating (with myself) about the ability of a new house to change my life in some significant way, but I have my doubts about that too.
 
It's funny the words you use. Only because just today I was saying I should get a tattoo that says correlation does not equal causation for those people who don't know better. I know you know better, but I thought it was funny.

I wouldn't say buying a new car has any effect, but I think that it's a monument, or mile stone you can remember in your life and tie that memory to other things happening around the same time.

For instance, I met Erin's Dad for the first time the day I bought the Escape. On the other hand, the Prelude engine died on Christmas day on my was to Berkley Square. The Acura died on the way to an RPGA meeting.
 
I think it's less of an omen and more of a sign of stability. Committing to a multi-year car payment requires a certain amount of financial stability, both at the current time and for the duration of said loan. I think the fact that people are ready and able to sign onto that debt (especially with the state of the economy) means that they're getting settled and able to pay - definitely a good thing!
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?