Tuesday, March 03, 2009
What's the real difference?

There's this movie. It's called When Harry Met Sally, maybe you've seen it. Well...I hadn't. Watched it a couple weeks ago and I'm just now getting to expressing this thought. Ok...so for those of you who haven't seen it, it's a Rob Reiner film that does a damn decent job of exploring a particularly relevant topic. Can men and women actually be real friends when one or both are attracted to the other. The movie is quite funny on top of this and does have a pretty good mass appeal but regardless, does an excellent job of presenting a mock case study. Let's skip to the end shall we? The mock case study basically states that the answer is no. If one is attracted to the other then there can't be a real friendship without complication. There are some exceptions to that rule of course, if one or the other is in a relationship or recovering from a relationship with someone else then the previous doesn't apply. Now again...this isn't my rule, it's simply what I've gleaned from the film. I thought I would come here and start thinking out loud about how I could get this into a more coherent theory.
I think the hang up is with our own unwillingnesss to admit how things really are. For instance have you ever noticed that you just can't tell people straight up how you feel about them? I mean...I don't mean EVER, but I wouldn't meet someone new, think they are awesome and hot and want to make out with them and then upon departing say, "Hey, I think you're awesome and hot and I totally want to make out with you." You just wouldn't do that. Much in the same way we wouldn't say, "Oh, sure. We're friends, but man I think every day about how I want to fuck the shit outta you." I mean...you would NEVER say that. So...why not? If it's true then what's the problem? It's better to keep something like that from someone? How come we never consider it a compliment? I mean...if one my friends were to say something like that to me, I would never cease being their friend. And my response would probably be, "Wow...thanks!" But that's never how it happens. We're "pervy" or "a freak" for saying it but we're totally normal for thinking it. I guess I never understood that. Why is it totally ok to think something and never to say it? I mean...what's the real difference? It still exists. The feelings are still there. WTF? Eh...food for thought. Let's continue.
So...ladies...let's be real: if you're hot ALL your male friends want to fuck you. All of them. The old ones. The young ones. The married ones. Ok...not the gay ones maybe, but that's it. If they don't then you're just not as hot as you think you are.
Let that soak in. Think back and try and prove me wrong. You're going to think you're proving me wrong but really? It's just fact. That's how men operate. No matter how sensitive. And any man that denies it is just trying to make themselves seem less...well less whatever.
Done thinking about it? Good. So anyway, how come we never talk about it? How come we never bring it up? How come we never say it? It's out there and everyone knows it so why hide it? Why try and fool ourselves into thinking it's not true? I think it's just part of our suspension of disbelief. It's really a movie term but I think it's relevant. We suspend the disbelief of our "platonic" relationships. Breaking down the fourth wall or looking at the camera would just...well...it would be like having someone sitting next to you at a magic show telling you how all the tricks are done. I mean you KNOW he's not actually making the rabbit disappear. You KNOW it's a trick, but for some reason someone telling you just ruins the experience for you. Ya know?
Anyway...the shitty movie I was watching is finally over and I have TAKS testing tomorrow (JOY!) so I guess I'll wrap this up.
In conclusion: I think we can be "friends" with people we're attracted to but to a certain degree it's not real. It's like that magic trick. As soon as you speak the secret of it all the whole thing falls apart. But if you're lucky, I mean really lucky, that other person will fight to keep the friendship, will fight to maintain the illusion and turn the trick into real magic. But that kind of slight of hand is difficult, REALLY difficult but if you wait a while before you see the trick again there's always a chance. A chance you'll appreciate the trick for what it really is, a feat of skill and prowess and something worth watching. I really hope you you get something from the way I process things people. Toodles! BTW check back for more comments. I might be adding stuff as the comments come in.
Tommy "doesn't really want to fuck you guys...or DOES he???" Schubert
Comments:
Well, I can think of one reason we don't just tell everyone what's really going on in our minds. Imagine your hot female in a perfectly honest world. All day long, she'd get people - men and women, whether she's gay or not, telling her they'd like to have sex with her. Yeah, it's a compliment, but after a while, wouldn't it make her feel that that's ALL she's good for?
I have hot male friends I think about ... erm... carnally. But I don't mention it because it's not really relevant. I don't want to have sex with them (for a variety of reasons too long to list) outside my head, so it's easier not to mention.
I have hot male friends I think about ... erm... carnally. But I don't mention it because it's not really relevant. I don't want to have sex with them (for a variety of reasons too long to list) outside my head, so it's easier not to mention.
The first paragraph raises an interesting point. Obviously I was speaking in extremes for examples in the post but let me play devil's advocate anyway. So what? Couldn't we consider infinite recognition of one's beauty as a beauty tax? Constantly being "extremely complimented" is the price you pay for being beautiful. What kind of fashion world would THAT produce I wonder...
And the second: That's really what it comes down to. It's less complicated to just keep those thoughts to yourself. But when did it get to be complicated? When did it get to be that way? When Adam and Eve took a bite out of the tree of knowledge? And relevance really wasn't the point.
And the second: That's really what it comes down to. It's less complicated to just keep those thoughts to yourself. But when did it get to be complicated? When did it get to be that way? When Adam and Eve took a bite out of the tree of knowledge? And relevance really wasn't the point.
I guess this is just one of the many, many things I keep in my head on a daily basis, so I don't see it as any different from anything else. If I let loose with every stray thought that went through my brain, I a) would NEVER stop talking (as opposed to just rarely being quiet like now) and b) have very few friends.
Hmmm maybe that's why I only have two and a half friends still in town. I should reconsider how I filter what I think... :(
Two.... and a half friends?
I do very little filtering around my close friends. More filtering around acquaintances, and still more around work buddies. It's a complex system. ;)
Post a Comment
I do very little filtering around my close friends. More filtering around acquaintances, and still more around work buddies. It's a complex system. ;)
