Saturday, July 25, 2009
I think I try too hard

So here I am spending another Saturday night by myself in a bar. I actually have gone through all the motions at this point. Called literally everyone I know in town. Had a whole lot of no answers and a couple of blowoffs. Sometimes I wonder what it is I must be doing wrong. I mean. Maybe I don't understand some element of the drinking culture. Let me be a little more specific: couple weeks ago I was doing an alumni thing. Started talking to a couple people and really hit it off with two chicks and this dude. Plenty of stuff to talk about with each of them. It was really great. Really. After the alumni thing we got a seat in a booth and chilled out for another hour or so talking and having a good time. I was starting to get hungry and suggested we all go get something to eat. Lost the married chick with that one but the married dude and single chick were like "sure!". So we rammed around downtown and got food and then back again. Though I really knew better, I didn't bother to get their numbers because I felt so confident that they would actually get back to me this time. That this time, unlike any other similar time it would actually be different. The people I met and really enjoyed the company of would actually get back to me like they had promised so many times. Well, went home, facebooked a couple of them and sent out a message later the next day. The dude got back to me about a week later and played "why the fuck is this guy messaging me?" for a couple days before realizing that I'm actually NOT a douche. He's on the call list for shit to do now and is seriously loving our group. The single chick whom I REALLY hit it off with? STILL hasn't gotten back or called. It's been a month. And as previously mentioned: this isn't even the tenth time shit like this has happened.
That's where my questioning of the drinker culture comes in. Am I making a mistake in drinker logic to think they would get back to me as promised so many times while I was standing infront if them? Am I pressing things? Am I being creepy? Should I just assume that no matter what is said, NO ONE I meet while they are drinking actually means anything they say? I guess I'm just having a bummer of a night sitting here at my bar. I even forgot my book back at home (hence the blogging) but the worst of it was bumping into some of the people I met through Ted here just as I got here. I said hi, talked a bit, told them I was bored and having a lonely night and though they mentioned they were having a small get-together of people I have met in the past their response wasn't a pity invite...it was " hey a quiet night isn't so bad! Have fun!". Seriously. I don't do shit like that. I just don't. And these guys are supposed to be Christians of some high to medium order? I guess I know what Jesus would do in this situation. Good to know.
Anyway. Just bitter about the usual: not having enough friends in my area and not having a girl I want to be with for longer than a month. I honestly can only assume I'm doing something wrong. Enlightment, why do you always take the weekends off?
Tommy "would really like one of his up-coming prospects to come through" Schubert
Comments:
I think you may be overestimating the effects of drinking. People are jerks, in general, and slightly more so when drinking. The jerkiness isn't always on purpose even - I often am an unintentional jerk to people due to my utter inability to pick up on hints and clues as to the wishes of other people. Trying to get better at that.
I wouldn't say I overestimated. Just grasping at straws for an explanation really. And I know everyone is a jerk sometimes, but it's been getting a little dishearteningly absurd lately. :P
But one of the spoken about prospects might actually have come through! We'll see!
Post a Comment
But one of the spoken about prospects might actually have come through! We'll see!
