Sunday, January 03, 2010
Yawn...I Love Vacation

There are few things I like more than vacation. I mean really. People say you shouldn't teach because of the vacation time. That's bullshit. I teach for many reasons, and one of them is DEFINITELY the vacation time. I mean, I had time this break to not only go to Hawaii for a week but to hang out and dick around for a whole 'nother week. I love teaching. The End.
Besides the dicking around, I've been busy as shit trying to get the end of my semester to a close. It took a little time but really there wasn't anything else I could do that wasn't just grading...which we all know I absolutely hate. I made a point to focus on all the important things in life. Ya know, like getting my netbook in order, watching at least three entire series of television shows, and buying a shitload of "indie" games I haven't had the chance to play in the last couple years. I've been enjoying Machinarium (Thanks Big L!) but unfortunately it ate my almost completed saved game the other day...but eh. I've also been playing Braid, World of Goo, Indigo Prophecy, and torchlight. ALL of which work on my netbook. I got the 1005HA by the way...in case anyone was curious. And I completely love it. Strangely I'm actually about to move to expert on Rock Band's drums. I finally started to head back up that learning curve as I've passed the plateau of Hard. I know it doesn't mean anything, but to have people say shit like "Jesus Tommy! That shit is nuts! I'm impressed!" really means something. Man...that does sound stupid. Mental note...don't mention to people that you're proud of your plastic-drum prowess.
Meanwhile, I've been checking out Dexter the new season, True Blood, and right now I've been watching the shit out of Legend of the Seeker. Man this show is pretty awesome and every episode is available on Netflix streaming. Oh...right...I finally betrayed Blockbuster. I shouldn't have but really I haven't had any regrets about it. The streaming is awesome on my computer at home and on my netbook, and it's even better on my PS3 where I can stream in full HD for some things.
I've made a New Years resolution (I don't do that by the way). I'm going to learn Japanese. I'm trying to say that as much as possible and tell as many people as I can so I can really stick to it. I'm going to try and enroll in Berlitz downtown. I'm pretty sure it's going to cost me an arm and a leg, but really...I can't think of anything more worth my money. I mean...presumably it's a skill I'll have have forever so why wouldn't it be worth whatever I can pay? I'm also going to try and learn a martial art this summer. That's something I'm not quite 100% on as I'm a lover, not a fighter, but eh. It could prove to be something I'm actually good at. Who knows?
So...I'm really excited to be back in touch with a lot of people that I just kinda thought were gone. Seems Maggie Waung is hopefully back hanging out with us. Nikki Nelson moved back to Dallas and teaches at Bowman Middle School, of all fucking places, and I've done my best to get a couple new people into our little Dallas group here. I'm still trying to get Matt and Amanda out of their chosen exile, which I hope I accomplished tonight. I really miss having them around, I consider them both dear friends. I've also started co-opting two other small groups that I'm trying to bwarg into the group we have here. David, Allison and Tracye I'm still trying to get over here more often but they are proving...resistant? I really don't know what's going on there, but I still like them hanging out with us and hope they'll come around more. Nic, Amy and Mary are REALLY new to the group but have proven particularly fun to hang out with and I'm almost positive we'll be seeing more of them. And yeah...I know what you're thinking and you're half right. Tracye and Mary I've been macking on and might be making progress but ya know...just can't use my powers for selfish means so I have no idea what's going on.
Anyway...I've been watching episode after episode of Seeker here in the front room as I try and catch everyone up through this post. So...since it's a little after 4 I guess I'll just finish this post and hit the sack. I think it really freaks the new renter out that I sleep till 3 on the weekends. Heh.
Tommy "misses everyone" Schubert
Comments:
Way to go on the drums, Tommy! You should totally brag about that. And, if you're having fun with Expert, I completely recommend the 3-Cymbal pack. It actually makes the songs somewhat easier and definitely more natural-feeling.
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=73602
Post a Comment
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=73602
