<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, March 28, 2010

It's just how life works. 

So everything's changing again. I think I'm ok with that though. Actually I think I kinda like it. Ted's hopefully going to be getting a job in Brownsville, obviously leaving here. Heather is moving back to New York. Dan just moved to San Antonio with Claire not far behind. Mike is starting his master's degree up in Ohio. Finally, the Friedmans' kid is about to turn one. Me? I'm getting more and more involved in the local community of filmmakers and things keep changing. People are coming into my life and others are going out. It's an interesting experience...and I love interesting experiences. :) I welcome the challenge!

Recently I've been seeing a bunch of new friends pretty regularly. They are a little younger than me, but we all know that I have no problem getting along with people of just about any age. It's really all a matter of their sense of humor, intelligence and how much of their inner child they let hang around. These kats? They're alright. :) Oh, and I'm not gonna say a thing this time, but remember the name Mary. Just in case.

So changing the subject again, but still on the theme of change: I just got voted onto the Board of Directors for The Asian Film Festival of Dallas. I don't know if I've been more honored in my life. Really. The master's was a lot of work, but that was all me. This? This?? I don't think I have felt more proud and overwhelmed since well...ever? I mean, getting invited to be a best man by Friedman was pretty damn awesome (not to mention standing at Dan's) but there was a certain expectation there. Here? I lobbied a little and did what I could to make sure they knew I wanted in, but this was all them thinking that I could really do the job. Like, really do it. A couple of them really think I'm awesome. I mean. I KNOW I'm awesome and I've definitely heard it from my closest friends (all you people are totally awesome too by the way!) but practical strangers? Maybe I'm not explaining it well, listen closely to this: The president of AFFD is an amazing president. She works hard, is really involved and is well respected. Everyone likes her. She's the perfect style of president for this kind of thing. She's also leaving almost immediately after the festival is over. She's moving on to bigger and better things in San Francisco. The first nomination? Me. From whom? A higher level employee of the Dallas Film Society. Flabbergasted. But in a good way :) Do I think I can handle it? Not really, but honestly? Maybe I can. Time will tell.

So next week is the UIL competition. I've been working a little too hard with this damn play. I'm not excited, and that's an understatement. I hate cut plays, and I hate brutally destroyed plays even more. This one is brutally destroyed. I mean...it's still good, but it's just not the same. It's like getting an album and then trying to summarize the whole thing by only listening to 4 songs. It works, sometimes, but it's just not right. Ya know? I'm most upset that I'm going to miss so much class this week. I fucking HATE missing class. This is a bit of a side-note but, do you realize that I basically never take days off? No really...sick, tired, bored, I mean...I never miss work if I can help it. I think this says something about how much I love my job. Really.

After that? Dallas International Film Festival and the best showing of the best films my students have ever produced. I couldn't be more proud of them, my friends, and myself. I love all the important people in my life. Thanks for everything.

Tommy "is a feeler" Schubert

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?