Friday, August 10, 2012
Never The Only Way Out
So I think I mentioned in my last post that things have really gone to shit around here. That remains true and for me, it continues to get worse. Someone else has been having a worse summer it seems and somehow I missed it.
Last Tuesday around 10pm, Jordan cut his wrists with the intent of killing himself in my bathroom. Luckily we were having our regular Tuesday Night Social Club over here. This is the first time we've ever had it at my place so he got lucky when he passed out and started calling my name half conscious. Someone at the party heard him as he called for me. My friend assumed it was just him needing toilet paper. Obviously it wasn't. After checking out what I was dealing with I went back into the front room to tell people to either help or quickly leave. Cat jumped in and helped out. Cory took his wife home and caught up later. I wrapped his arm up in a towel and helped him to the car. He was really woozy from passing out at the sight of his own blood coming out of him.
We got him silently to the hospital as quick as we could. When we sat him down in the emergency room, he just seemed really defeated. I filled out all his paperwork and they took him back. He was in the emergency room for about three hours. All three of us were there the whole time. We never left him till there just wasn't a reason for us to be there anymore. He felt really stupid for failing to kill himself and for all the decisions he's made in the last couple months and most of his life. He had fallen off the wagon. He was helpless and hopeless. And he had low potassium it seems.
It was a really long and difficult night for everyone. All three of us took it differently. Cat went home and bawled her eyes out, Cory didn't get out of bed till lunch, and I, well, I had already had enough this summer. It seems I was already at all limits. My limit for stress, for anger, for disappointment. For everything. Let me explain better: It's like when it's 105 outside. 105 sucks. It's super hot. You don't want to do anything. You're sweating like crazy. Then it's 110 and you stop giving a shit. It still sucks. It's still super hot. You still don't want to do anything and you're still sweating like crazy. That's kind of the idea I was trying to get across. So all-in-all about this Jordan thing: It seems I'm doing pretty fucking well under the circumstances. Probably shouldn't be I guess. It's possible I'm still in emergency mode and it's also possible that what I stated earlier is true. I just don't have anything left.
Yesterday his mom went to visit him and called me today. As of Wednesday he was still reporting that he would finish the job as soon as they released him. He is on medication. Today (Thursday) when Ed and I went to visit him they had reported that he was going to be released tomorrow. He was responding better to the medication and generally he seemed better. They are looking at doing outpatient work with him and possibly someone to manage his finances.
As anyone would in my situation, I really don't want him to move back in. As a friend, I don't have a choice. As me, I don't have a choice. He'll be back to living here when he gets out. I have a feeling I'll have to draw a line sometime soon for my own mental and emotional safety. Not looking forward to that.
Also not looking forward to my surgery in the next couple weeks but that's a story for another time.
I know this might seem like it's not something one should share publicly. Jordan's right's to privacy and all that. I have thought about that. Considering he did this in such a public fashion and a lot of you guys really care about him, I decided this needed to be something I shared. I hope that's something that makes sense.
There's really nothing anyone can do to help but if you're the praying sort, pray for Jordan. Pray for all my friends down here that are having to deal with this. After all that, if you have any credit left over with god, go ahead and put one in for me too. I can use all the help I can get these days.
If you have any questions or you just need/want to talk about this, just call me. It's a lot easier to answer questions over the phone. And it's ok if you want to call and talk just for yourself. All kinds of people have all kinds of reactions to stuff like this. Hell...my fucking dad was crying when I told him about it. He didn't realize I had essentially done this a dozen times already when I was working in Oak Cliff. Not to this degree, of course, but I HAD taken about a client a month to the hospital because they would have killed themselves otherwise. I don't think he quite understood how I could do that for a year and a half and it overwhelmed him. Anyway...if you need to call or talk to someone, might as well be me. :)
Thanks for being on the other side of all this crazy crap I spew out every month or so. Sorry it's been so bad lately. Not all that much I can do about it.
Tommy "Nothing else to say" Schubert
Last Tuesday around 10pm, Jordan cut his wrists with the intent of killing himself in my bathroom. Luckily we were having our regular Tuesday Night Social Club over here. This is the first time we've ever had it at my place so he got lucky when he passed out and started calling my name half conscious. Someone at the party heard him as he called for me. My friend assumed it was just him needing toilet paper. Obviously it wasn't. After checking out what I was dealing with I went back into the front room to tell people to either help or quickly leave. Cat jumped in and helped out. Cory took his wife home and caught up later. I wrapped his arm up in a towel and helped him to the car. He was really woozy from passing out at the sight of his own blood coming out of him.
We got him silently to the hospital as quick as we could. When we sat him down in the emergency room, he just seemed really defeated. I filled out all his paperwork and they took him back. He was in the emergency room for about three hours. All three of us were there the whole time. We never left him till there just wasn't a reason for us to be there anymore. He felt really stupid for failing to kill himself and for all the decisions he's made in the last couple months and most of his life. He had fallen off the wagon. He was helpless and hopeless. And he had low potassium it seems.
It was a really long and difficult night for everyone. All three of us took it differently. Cat went home and bawled her eyes out, Cory didn't get out of bed till lunch, and I, well, I had already had enough this summer. It seems I was already at all limits. My limit for stress, for anger, for disappointment. For everything. Let me explain better: It's like when it's 105 outside. 105 sucks. It's super hot. You don't want to do anything. You're sweating like crazy. Then it's 110 and you stop giving a shit. It still sucks. It's still super hot. You still don't want to do anything and you're still sweating like crazy. That's kind of the idea I was trying to get across. So all-in-all about this Jordan thing: It seems I'm doing pretty fucking well under the circumstances. Probably shouldn't be I guess. It's possible I'm still in emergency mode and it's also possible that what I stated earlier is true. I just don't have anything left.
Yesterday his mom went to visit him and called me today. As of Wednesday he was still reporting that he would finish the job as soon as they released him. He is on medication. Today (Thursday) when Ed and I went to visit him they had reported that he was going to be released tomorrow. He was responding better to the medication and generally he seemed better. They are looking at doing outpatient work with him and possibly someone to manage his finances.
As anyone would in my situation, I really don't want him to move back in. As a friend, I don't have a choice. As me, I don't have a choice. He'll be back to living here when he gets out. I have a feeling I'll have to draw a line sometime soon for my own mental and emotional safety. Not looking forward to that.
Also not looking forward to my surgery in the next couple weeks but that's a story for another time.
I know this might seem like it's not something one should share publicly. Jordan's right's to privacy and all that. I have thought about that. Considering he did this in such a public fashion and a lot of you guys really care about him, I decided this needed to be something I shared. I hope that's something that makes sense.
There's really nothing anyone can do to help but if you're the praying sort, pray for Jordan. Pray for all my friends down here that are having to deal with this. After all that, if you have any credit left over with god, go ahead and put one in for me too. I can use all the help I can get these days.
If you have any questions or you just need/want to talk about this, just call me. It's a lot easier to answer questions over the phone. And it's ok if you want to call and talk just for yourself. All kinds of people have all kinds of reactions to stuff like this. Hell...my fucking dad was crying when I told him about it. He didn't realize I had essentially done this a dozen times already when I was working in Oak Cliff. Not to this degree, of course, but I HAD taken about a client a month to the hospital because they would have killed themselves otherwise. I don't think he quite understood how I could do that for a year and a half and it overwhelmed him. Anyway...if you need to call or talk to someone, might as well be me. :)
Thanks for being on the other side of all this crazy crap I spew out every month or so. Sorry it's been so bad lately. Not all that much I can do about it.
Tommy "Nothing else to say" Schubert
Comments:
Post a Comment
